Last weekend my email account went mad, with emails from the plugin Limit Login Attempts about 3-5 emails every minuet, for 48 hours. Unfortunately I was away from home with practically no internet access so was unable to try to stop the attack. From the emails they were targeting 3 different usernames admin, administrator and support. I was pretty sure my server would hold out while the attack was happening and it did. The attack stopped late Sunday night.
When I got home, I opened up my email client and the emails began to download… all 29,861 of them, I guess thats the only downside of Limit Login Attempts… but at least it raised my attention to something that could have been a lot worse.