A few months ago I published a post about how to find free stock images for your blog or website. You can find that here. However I have just come across a website that has some stunning imagery on it – and best of all its free!
Tell Me Who!
Pixabay is a user generated free stock image website. At the time of writing this post, the website stats say it has a huge 93,683 images in there library all free to download and can be used freely in digital and printed format, for personal and commercial use. Attribution to the original author is also not required. All you need to do is create an account and you can begin downloading right away.
The website does have adverts on until you upload at least 10 images into the library. Once you have done that all adverts disappear. I know what you might be thinking – user uploaded photos.. they must be very poor quality. Well this is where you are wrong. Yes there are some rubbish images however a very high percentage are amazing quality as they have a review process for every image uploaded. Images are available to download in multiple sizes.
Pixabay is available in 20 languages making it accessible to people around the world, meaning they can build a bigger and bigger repository.
Is There A WordPress Plugin?
- Search Pixabay’s public domain pictures via the “Add Media” button inside your post editor, or find it attached as new tab to WordPress’ new Media Manager.
- Filter search results by image type (clipart, photo) and/or orientation (landscape, portrait).
- Preview images in paginated search results.
- Direct image uploads to WordPress’ media library.
- Use of standard media dialogues for editing and inserting images.
Once you install and activate the free plugin, you’ll have access to 90,000+ quality images.